10 Easy Ways to Build Self-ConfidenceBy
We have all met that certain someone who just seems to exude self-confidence, self-assurance and poise. We see them in our workplace, at seminars, and just strolling through the mall. Perhaps you have wondered, “What is their secret? How can they be so positive about themselves?” maybe you have even asked, “How can I be THAT self-confident?”
Let me give you the good news… you, too, could be that confident! Yep, you read that right, you could be that guy or girl that everyone envies and wonders about how you are so self-confident!
Here is a fact that I have found most people are not aware of. Your self-confidence does not come from within alone. It is NOT just some kind of inner gift bestowed up you. It is, instead, the result of the things you do! For some, the self-confidence enhancing actions come naturally, or perhaps they have become engrained into who they are over time. Because these people have repeated taken these self-confidence building actions in the past, they become automatic and habitual. If you do not have these confidence building habits today, you too can engrain them into who you are buy repeatedly and consciously taking those action actions, thus turning them into habits that build your own self-confidence, self-assurance and poise.
Here are key actions to take to become more self-assured:
- Take care with your appearance. How you feel about yourself will be reflected in your appearance. Ensure your hair is clean and styled to fit your taste, and that your clothes are well-fitted both in style and size. When you know you look good, you feel great and far more self-confident as well.
- Smile and look people in the eye. When you smile and make eye contact, it shows that you have a certain ease and poise about you. People will see this and respond positively toward you, giving your self-assurance a lift!
- Give genuine compliments to others. Complimenting others shows that you feel good enough about yourself to give positive feedback to others. The key here is GENUINE!
- Know your strengths. Focus on doing whatever you are best at. You will feel like an expert and know without a doubt that you excel in that area. Also, continue to grow your expertise so that you continue to feel that area is a strength for you.
- Accept your imperfections. Let go of the need to be perfect. Doing so means you are comfortable enough with who you and can admit your imperfections. After all, we all have them. (I sure know I do!) Imperfections only show that you’re human – not that you’re flawed!
- Be prepared. This is not just for Boy Scouts. Be prepared will show you that you can and will be successful at whatever you set out to do. Being prepared increases confidence because you know what you are doing. You have practiced in advance and are ready to do what needs to be done.
- Have goals and work to achieve them. (You had to know this was coming!) When your life has direction, you know where you are going. You will be steadily striving toward accomplishing your desires, dreams and aspirations. Because you have goals, you will be able to see the progress you are making, and you will build a confidence towards accomplishing them.
- Embrace whatever it is you love. Make time to do what you love, what makes you happy, content, and excited about your own life. Doing this gives you a sense of self-control over your life, which adds to your self-confidence.
- Excel at work. No matter what kind of work you do, strive to be the best at it. Develop a reputation at work as the “go to” person who can always get the job done. This is a fabulous confidence-builder that keeps building.
- Forget about your ego. When you give your need to prove something, you will be free of feeling compelled to put on airs and impress people. Instead, you will become more authentic and real with yourself (and those you interact with). Prove to yourself, instead of to others, that you are competent and confident. Once you do this others will see it, without you having to boast about it.
I am not going to blow smoke up your…. Well you know. Let’s be honest, building your self-confidence is going to take a little time, some focus and yes even effort on your part. However, your faith in yourself will grow with each and every step (not matter how small) you take. Start today and begin to live as the person you have always dreamed you would be and you can and will become that very person…and more.
Think Successfully & Take Action!